Saturday, March 27, 2010

Mother of Garage Sale

My love for garages sales began with my mother. She was very resourceful and good at organizing things. Of course she was a salesperson and didn't know it. She would sell the crappiest things and get money for it. I think she did it just to get a laugh. SUCKER!

As I write this, I recall a pretty large doll collection well over 15 dolls in my childhood. I am sure that those dolls got priced, displayed when I wasn't looking and sold before I knew what was going on. I don't think I saw the proceeds either!

Through the years we would continue to have garages sales, rain or shine and we would always find something to display and get some shock value. We waited for people to realize that something unusual was for sale and wonder WHY? Getting the laugh was sometimes better than the sale. Of course we would always have something great to eat. Mother always fed you and sometimes patrons! Just depending on how much you purchased.

When we didn't have anything to sell, we would certainly go to garage sales. It was a high we would get from finding just the right treasure for ourselves or for family and friends. When we couldn't find a treasure or get our fix, we would head to Walmart.

After my mom passed away, I would catch myself on Saturdays wanting to call her and see if she wanted to go garage sale hunting. It was hard for me on those days because that was our time together that we certainly agreed on.

Gotta go know, it is Saturday, beautiful weather and I am sure there are signs out there calling for me to come shop and buy!

3 comments:

  1. Mary this is a sweet post about your mom...I am sure you do miss those days of running to sales with her.
    I miss my friend Barbara especially during this time of year when Warrenton is going on...We use to get up early and walk and walk...She died several years ago when her breast cancer had spread to other areas. So Friday I wore a necklace of hers out to Warrenton and I could not believe how many strangers commented on that necklace and of course I had to tell them I wore it for her. I think she must of been smiling through that necklace because of all the comments about it.
    Did you figure out how to leave a comment. I told you I could loose followers as we speak and sure enough went on there to see if you had left me a comment and I had lost one...hahaha
    Sorry when that happens but it does...
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS
    You can also leave your on comment on your site...try it...but remember be nice
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girlfriend you had better get busy doing post so I can laugh when I come over here
    Love
    M

    ReplyDelete